Athanaeum Hall was built in 1847. It was first called the Saxonville Town Hall. It has also served as a school, meeting hall, jail, hospital, polling place, newspaper press room for The Saxonville Mirror, and as a hall for wedding receptions, religious services, veterans' meetings, plays, lectures, sporting events, and dances. Recent renovations made by The Friends of Saxonville will preserve the building for future generations.
An old postcard shows Athenaeum Hall, then known as Town Hall, and the Saxonville Fire station. The restoration effort in the 1990's resulted in the original colors applied to the exterior of the hall.
Previous stop, Fire Station
Go to the Tour Map
Next stop, the Saxonville Mills
|VistaDome Views Home|
|©2003,2006 John Simakauskas|